[ NNSquad ] CNN: Advocacy groups eager for White House petition website

Advocacy groups eager for White House petition website

http://j.mp/o7sg1L  (CNN)

      "The White House may have opened Pandora's box on Thursday when it
       announced it would respond to any petition that over 30 days garners
       at least 5,000 signatures and is submitted through the upcoming White
       House website "We the People."  Though the White House said the
       project is a way for the White House to connect with "individuals," a
       number of advocacy groups have told CNN they plan to use the website
       to lobby the White House on issues of all kinds.
       For many advocacy groups, 5,000 signatures in 30 days is an easy feat
       said Mary Boyle, spokesperson for Common Cause. "It would be easy. We
       could do it in a day," said Boyle."

 - - -

Reference:

"Worse than useless award: White House launches "e-petition" system":
http://j.mp/qnOVyB  (Lauren Weinstein on Google+)

     "The new White House "We the People" (who comes up with these names?)
      e-petition system promises to be no better, and its high profile will
      make it an instant target for every interest group hoping to
      demonstrate its force -- and also an attractive target for hackers of
      all stripes."

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren