[ NNSquad ] Re: How to Steal Your Way to #1 In the Copyright Wars

>             How to Steal Your Way to #1 In the Copyright Wars
>                http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000896.html

There is no question that what Disney did in this regard is dishonest,
unethical, and immoral, BUT is is clearly not a copyright violation
since copyright protects only expressions of ideas, not the ideas
themselves.  This distinction is important today because many
companies and individuals are threatening legal action against others
who may have the same idea or story as theirs, but a completely new
expression.  Copyright law is clear on this: you can't copyright ideas
(or facts).

Here is a link to a story about SciFi writer Harlan Ellison suing 20th
Century Fox because a new movie "In Time" is similar to his work
"Repent, Harlequin! Said The Ticktockman".

<http://goo.gl/QPGow> (TechDirt)

     [ I seem to have an autographed copy of "Ticktockman" sitting
       right here.  What a coincidence!  Anyway, I didn't say that
       Disney had violated copyrights in this case.  I said they had
       stolen "Kimba" for "Lion King."  Lots of thefts aren't
       technically crimes.  Just look at Wall Street.

Bob Poortinga  K9SQL
Bloomington, IN  US