[ NNSquad ] Murdoch Strikes! - WJS to combine personal data and Web browsing data without users' consent

Murdoch Strikes! - WSJ to combine personal data and Web browsing data
without users' consent
http://j.mp/n8eltZ  (This message on Google+)

 - - -

In a move that confirms many of our worst fears of what would happen
to the Wall Street Journal once within the clutches of Rupert
Murdoch's News Corp empire, the WSJ today announced that henceforth,
in a 180 degree reversal from their previous privacy policy, they will
now feel free to combine personally identifiable information (PII) with Web
browsing ("click stream") data, *without* affirmative user consent.

http://j.mp/oGwNMe  (WSJ)

While this is not being applied retrospectively, it applies to all new
registered users and subscribers going forward.

Combining of PII and Web usage data in this manner is a very big deal,
especially when it represents a total reversal from prior policy.

WSJ says the new policy "allows us to be consistent with how we handle privacy ..."

Given what we know about Rupert Murdoch, News Corp., and their views
regarding privacy, it could indeed be argued that today's move is very much
in keeping with the same sensibilities that led to massive voicemail
hacking and other abuses by News Corp. personnel.

So at least the WSJ is being honest in admitting that they've now joined
the rest of News Corp. at the bottom of the barrel.

But somehow it seems difficult to congratulate them for that.

I do feel sorry for the many excellent WSJ employees who have to live
with this policy change.  How embarrassing for them.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren