[ NNSquad ] Video Available: Google+ Identity and "Real Names" Discussion Hangout

    Video Available: Google+ Identity and "Real Names" Discussion Hangout

               http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000899.html

Yesterday evening, I conducted an initial Google+ discussion video
"Hangout" dedicated to the controversies surrounding identity
("real names") controversies on Google+.  As I noted in "Real Names,
Guilt, Self-Censorship, and the Identity War," these are complicated
issues ( http://j.mp/poYMC0 [Lauren's Blog] ).

My thanks to everyone who participated, especially given the
short notice.

The video of this Hangout is now available:

http://j.mp/q40WKw  (YouTube / ~24 minutes)

A quick technical note: Recording of Hangouts without integral
(server-based) recording facilities is technically challenging,
especially if multiple systems aren't being used for this process.  In
this experiment, I used my own "split screen" technique to work around
a limitation in the Hangout video switching algorithm, and to make it
easier for me to overlay a "This Hangout is being recorded for
YouTube" warning for any additional participants who might arrive
during the course of the discussion itself.

While there are obvious limitations to this recording technique, it's
clear that there is enormous promise in Hangouts for serious dialogues
and explorations on all manner of topics, and I plan to schedule more
of these sessions in near future.

Thanks again to the participants not only for their thoughts on the
issues of concern, but for their willingness to be "guinea pigs" for
last night's explorations.

Take care, all.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren