[ NNSquad ] German firm creates "online changing rooms" + Woody Allen

German firm creates "online changing rooms" + Woody Allen

http://j.mp/urP0JL  (Guardian)

   "But while many people are now confident enough to buy books and DVDs
    online, few shop for clothes on the internet - just 7% of all clothing
    sales are made online in the US, for example, compared with 61% of all
    books. It's not hard to work out why: what if that dress doesn't fit?
    No wonder 40% of all clothes bought online are sent back, according to
    a study by ibi, a research institute attached to the University of
    Regensburg in Bavaria.  A new German firm aims to solve this problem
    by allowing shoppers to upload a highly detailed set of measurements
    to online retailers to decide which garments are likely to fit best."

 - - -

The link above was sent to me by a reader concerned about the "privacy
aspects" of these measurements.  Frankly, I don't really see a privacy
problem.  There isn't much nasty that anyone could do with my perfect
(ah, uh, cough) measurements.  And even with precise measurements, my
suspicion is that typical manufacturing tolerances and variations of
the garments themselves would remain an impediment to a largescale
online migration for clothing purchases.

Still, the concept *does* immediately call to mind this sequence from
Woody Allen's film classic "Sleeper" (1973)! -

http://j.mp/rJMkLH  (YouTube / ~30 seconds)

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren