[ NNSquad ] 2012 Challenges: Problems, Solutions, Data, and Wisdom

            2012 Challenges: Problems, Solutions, Data, and Wisdom

                http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000924.html

As 2011 closes out, and 2012 enters the spotlight for its ephemeral
closeup, we can all probably agree that an enormous number of pressing
issues continue to await reasonable resolution, and in many cases even
rational consideration.

One explanation for this sorry state of affairs (though not the only
one, to be sure) is the continuing rush, particularly in the political
realm, to impose simplistic, often ineffective, and frequently
counterproductive "knee-jerk solutions" onto complex problems.

We have understandable angst about security at airports.  But rather
than use available information in a responsible and logical manner,
authorities resort to needlessly irradiating millions of travelers,
create the spectacle of young children being manhandled by poorly
trained personnel, and permit elderly passengers in wheelchairs to be
humiliated by what amount to strip-searches.

Concerns about Internet "piracy" of copyrighted intellectual materials
are sometimes valid, but the false promises of the horrendous SOPA
(Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act) legislation would
broadly put free speech at risk globally, and seriously damage
fundamental Internet security and reliability -- while not actually
solving piracy problems.

Meanwhile, alternative approaches that could target truly criminal
piracy in particular, such as carefully implemented payment processing
controls, are de-emphasized in favor of much more heavy-handed and
ultimately fruitless enforcement regimes favored by traditional
entertainment industry conglomerates, despite the massive collateral
damage to innocent parties that these latter methods would trigger.

In an even broader context, we're now entering an era where truly
remarkable new analytical and visualization technologies offer the
promise of helping solve some of the world's most critical problems in
health, resources, and many other areas -- via the conversion of data
to knowledge, and of knowledge to wisdom.

Yet all too often, legitimate concerns about privacy and personal
choice are being leveraged by some in the political and commercial
realms in manners often grossly simplistic, and sometimes wholly
disingenuous, that could easily undermine society's ultimate
well-being by unnecessarily decimating the availability and utility of
these potentially invaluable techniques.

The problems we face, as individuals, communities, nations, and as an
ultimately resources-limited global ecosystem, are far too important
for us to squander opportunities to employ every possible useful tool
in rational and responsible ways toward finding the best answers for
moving forward.

Political posturing and "business as usual" gamesmanship are
especially unacceptable in this realm of critical issues.  We need to
be working toward policies based on facts, not mainly upon politically
biased opportunism.

Very shortly, within the first weeks of the coming year, I'll be
announcing a new project aimed at usefully contributing toward this
goal, and I hope that you'll join in the associated discussions,
education outreach, and related efforts, as we work together for a
better future.

Thank you, and all the best to you and yours for 2012!

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren