[ NNSquad ] CNN Election Coverage Goes Off the Rails with Data Visualization and Social Media Madness

CNN Election Coverage Goes Off the Rails with Data Visualization and
Social Media Madness

http://j.mp/zenj7A  (YouTube / ~2.6 minutes)

Jan 4, 2012 - As the night dragged on, and CNN's coverage of the
(relatively meaningless) Iowa caucuses stretched out approaching 3 AM
Eastern time, both the on-camera and off-camera personnel, unable to
get home due to problems with the count from one tiny Iowa precinct,
understandably got more than a bit punchy. This report by CNN's Jeanne
Moos shows some of the highlights. I saw this all live at the time,
and it was pretty clear the coverage had gone off the rails -- but at
that hour, I had a lot of sympathy for everyone involved! However, one
note to the CNN Election Information Tech Team. The idea of graphical
systems for data visualization is generally to help people better see
and understand the patterns and meaning of complex information, not to
cause one to almost lose their last meal in fits of convulsive
laughter!

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren