[ NNSquad ] Hotspot 2.0 and or X.400 Redux

OK, I understand the motivation so my T-Mobile(r) can work in a Boingo
hotspot by the divvying up the payments. But we should pull the slipknot and
let connectivity become simple rather than adding epicycles upon epicycles.

But instead we have the revenge of X.400 -- a complex set of protocols so
that we can take the abundant capacity all around us and lock it into a
twisting complicated maze of billable paths. It's as if someone took control
of all our sidewalks and introduced high fences and a passport system to
assure that authorized users communicated in authorized paths in authorized
ways.

Authorization should be an application function -- the way we use the
facilities and not a property of the wires and radios
(http://rmf.vc/IPGeni).

I could go on with the ways this breaks layering and created perverse
behavior. I can also compare it with the attempt to impose an IMS control
plane on a network. I'm here at CES seeing all the fails due to all the
"agree screens" and other snags along the path that make connected
healthcare so difficult and frustrate simple connectivity.

One way to think of it -- imagine writing a program to do a simple
calculation in an unattended embedded system and randomly an advertisement
would pop-up causing the system to just stop fail. Designing public
infrastructure that defaults to fail is irresponsible or worse.

If we're lucky this will fall by the wayside like X.400 and IMS. If we're
not ...

Kiddies -- X.400 was the phone companies' idea of email which allowed them
to keep control over all messaging services. It took 10 years to make
changes if all participants approved. It quickly fell by the wayside once
the government stopped requiring its use.