[ NNSquad ] Re: Hotspot 2.0 and or X.400 Redux

<rant>

I was flying to/fro the west coast this last fall and via LAX, I was amazed at how great the signal was from T-Mobile hot-spots but how lousy it seemed to work. I couldn't even load up the pages at T-mobile to stick it on my T-Mobile account so I could use it!!

When I fired up netstumbler, low and behold, all the WAP's were on pretty much 2 channels.

Like, EVERYONE's WAP's in the terminal were on like 2 channels.

I think I counted like 16+ AP's all on channels 1 and 6 (or something like that).

EVEN T-Mobile had more than 2 WAP's on the same 2 channels.

Last I checked, WAP's don't work so great when set up like that.. which explained why I could start loading a web page at T-mobile's site, but then it would sputter and eventually halt.

Maybe we wouldn't need a Hotspot 2.0 if Hotspot 1.0 was properly configured for the area installed in.

And I don't bother calling companies when I can't use their products. Typically the agent has no idea what I'm talking about and nothing happens as evident when I check the same place multiple times and no changes are apparent.

</rant>

   [ Sometimes these are just the defaults and never get changed.
     Other times people take the advice of sticking to the three
     non-overlapping 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi channels (in the U.S. - 1, 6, 11) a
     bit too literally.