[ NNSquad ] Wikipedia blackout leaks

Wikipedia blackout leaks
http://j.mp/yVrT9j  (This message on Google+)

 - - -

Wikipedia's blackout of their main (English language) service began
a couple of hours ago, but (at least for now) it appears to be rather
leaky, according to various reports.

First, the Wikipedia mobile site at: http://m.wikipedia.org
appears to be up as usual.

The main site at http://en.wikipedia.org displays the blackout page,
but oddly, if the ESC key is punched a few times during page loads, the
banner is dismissed and the underlying pages appear.

A user outside the U.S., expressing discontent that the English
Wikipedia is being blocked outside the U.S. as well, already created
a Chrome extension to remove the blackout page:

http://j.mp/xeXGT4  (Google Chrome)

I'm not suggesting that anyone actually use any of these techniques,
for however long they may work.

Use them or not.  That's up to you.  But they are a demonstration
that the Internet really does try to find ways around censorship,
even "self-imposed censorship" for a good cause.

As I've previously noted, I do not feel that "blacking out" Wikipedia
was a good decision, but it certainly is their right to do so.
Google, by the way, has covered their logo with a black banner (linked
to appropriate information) in what I consider to be a much more
responsible protest approach.

The really important aspect of all this is remembering that fighting
SOPA, PIPA, and their ilk will be a continuing war, not a single
battle, and continuing educational outreach will be required, not a
one day protest.

The war to fight censorship on the Internet is extremely likely to
outlive us all.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren