[ NNSquad ] Gaming YouTube: The missing line on the dispute form

Gaming YouTube: The missing line on the dispute form
http://j.mp/wtwQLZ  (This message on Google+)

 - - -

I'm a big fan of YouTube, and efforts like Content ID have been
important to help ensure the continued availability of content without
draconian pre-approval regimes.

But there are aspects in which the current copyright dispute mechanism on
YouTube falls short, and appears easily gamed by unscrupulous entities.

I ran into a classic case today, when one of my old uploaded videos
was suddenly claimed by a company that I quickly determined was a
massive porn site with no possible relationship to the material.

Their modus operandi was obvious enough: Claim videos and let them
keep running, but with ads that feed revenue back to the crooks making
the claim.  Since it's apparently possible to immediately get those
ads up, they can be leveraged in the short term even if the claim is
ultimately rejected, and probably many uploaders never even notice the
ads inserted on their older videos.

Unfortunately, the YouTube dispute form does *not* have a line item to
specifically deal with this obvious case -- an entity claiming rights
on a video to which they obviously have no connection at all.  It's
possible to sorta-kinda "repurpose" another option on the form to
explain the situation, but really this explicit (and common) kind of
trolling fraud should have a clear and direct line item of its own.