[ NNSquad ] White House Outlines Online Privacy Guidelines

White House Outlines Online Privacy Guidelines

http://j.mp/xfTZOM  (New York Times)

   "The Obama administration on Wednesday outlined a set of online privacy
    principles that officials said would help consumers control the use of
    their personal data gleaned from Internet searches."

It would be extraordinarily useful if we started with concise
definitions of what tracking even actually means. It is not a simple
question. All too often data is treated by politicians as if it were
all the same in terms of personal import and degree of linkage to
identifiable individuals. And we need to consider if consumers are
willing to start paying directly under anti-"tracking" regimes for
much of what they get for free now.