[ NNSquad ] Internet Topology over Time

Internet Topology over Time

http://j.mp/xoowc4  (Cornell / Arxiv)

   "There are few studies that look closely at how the topology of the
    Internet evolves over time; most focus on snapshots taken at a
    particular point in time. In this paper, we investigate the evolution
    of the topology of the Autonomous Systems graph of the Internet,
    examining how eight commonly-used topological measures change from
    January 2002 to January 2010. We find that the distributions of most
    of the measures remain unchanged, except for average path length and
    clustering coefficient. The average path length has slowly and
    steadily increased since 2005 and the average clustering coefficient
    has steadily declined. We hypothesize that these changes are due to
    changes in peering policies as the Internet evolves. We also
    investigate a surprising feature, namely that the maximum degree has
    changed little, an aspect that cannot be captured without modeling
    link deletion. Our results suggest that evaluating models of the
    Internet graph by comparing steady-state generated topologies to
    snapshots of the real data is reasonable for many measures. However,
    accurately matching time-variant properties is more difficult, as we
    demonstrate by evaluating ten well-known models against the 2010 data."