[ NNSquad ] From my ARPANET archive: Origins of electronic mail / "email"

Origins of electronic mail / "email"

http://j.mp/xhR6uk  (This message on Google+)

 - - -

While the file:

http://lauren.vortex.com/msggroup1.txt

(which I've just retrieved from my archive) doesn't directly address
the email origins controversy, it does demonstrate the depth of
discussions already in progress in 1976. There's actually some pretty
interesting historical detail in there. You'll also note some rather
familiar looking email addresses, from the era when we typed addresses
with "@" but usually displayed them with "at" -- and some sites tended
to use all uppercase usernames (and not a domain to be seen!):

POSTEL@ISIC
FARBER@USC-ISI
DCROCKER@USC-ISI
Lauren@UCLA-ATS