[ NNSquad ] "ICANN had no idea IANA rejection was coming" (+ my comments)

"ICANN had no idea IANA rejection was coming" (+ my comments)
http://j.mp/yCIi9S  (This message on Google+)

 - - -

http://j.mp/AAXbK6  (.nxt)

   "In a worrying turn of events, it appears that ICANN had no idea about
    the rejection of its bid for long-term running of the IANA contract
    prior to an announcement being posted on the NTIA's website today.
    The organization - which has run the IANA functions for over a decade
    - is also waiting to hear why the US government feels it has failed to
    meet the RFP criteria that defined a new, more open approach to the
    contract. In a series of sudden and unexpected announcements earlier
    today, the NTIA first announced it was canceling the entire rebid
    process for IANA, then that it was canceling it because no one had met
    its criteria, and then that it was extending ICANN's IANA contract for
    six months to give it time to re-run the RFP process."

 - - -

In my view, ICANN's behavior of late regarding the NTIA has been
something like the Wall Street firms vs. their ersatz regulators -- a
sense of entitlement and "we're too important to be replaced" plowing
forward with the domain-industrial complex's "get rich quick" agenda,
with only lipservice being paid to NTIA.  As I said earlier today, I
would expect ICANN to find a way to come into "technical" compliance
for now.  But I still also feel very strongly that we need a
purpose-built replacement for ICANN that will not carry its ever
increasing political and "domainer" baggage.  Not the UN.  Not the
ITU.  But a new international forum that cares about *all* the
Internet's users, not mainly the monied domain exploitation interests
at the top of the DNS food chain.