[ NNSquad ] Our first step toward correcting the "who invented e-mail fiasco"

----- Forwarded message from Dave Crocker <dcrocker@bbiw.net> -----

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 06:34:32 -0700
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@bbiw.net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Our first step toward correcting the "who invented e-mail
	fiasco"
To: dave@farber.net, Brian Randell <Brian.Randell@ncl.ac.uk>,
	geoff goodfellow <geoff@iconia.com>
CC: ip <ip@listbox.com>, "Barry F. Berkov" <barry@berkov.com>,
	Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com>, John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>,
	Lawrence Tesler <tesler@nomodes.com>,
	Ian Peter <ian.peter@ianpeter.com>

There has been more activity in the saga of the email invention controversy.

The last 'status' posting you had on this topic was the 'mea culpa' by the
Post's Ombudsman.

Eventually, the Post did add a major correction to the original article,
negating all of the historical claims.

But they also invited four folk to write followup articles: S.A. Shiva
Ayyadurai, Tom Haigh, Noam Chomsky and me.   Ayyadurai is the fellow who
continues to claim he invented email.  Tom Haigh is a professor who covers
technology history; he was asked to do a history of email and to directly
confront Ayyadurai's claims.  I don't know what they asked Chomsky to write
about. I was asked to do a personal history of working on email.

After roughly two weeks of our working on our articles, the Post decided to
run only mine.  They released it this morning:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-innovations/a-history-of-e-mail-collaboration-innovation-and-the-birth-of-a-system/2012/03/19/gIQAOeFEPS_story.html

They have not stated their reasons for declining to publish the other three.

There was quite a bit of background chatter amongst folk who had early
involvement in email history. It was enthusiastic and often quite
enlightening

As a consequence, I've started a web site for the topic:

     emailhistory.org

d/
--

  Dave Crocker