[ NNSquad ] Tracking Athletes Online as Legal Red Flags Flutter

Tracking Athletes Online as Legal Red Flags Flutter

http://j.mp/H7sMCl  (New York Times)

     "Every school, we work to customize their keyword list," said Sam
     Carnahan, the chief executive of Varsity Monitor, which has offices in
     Seattle and New York and also provides educational programs to
     universities. "We look for things that could damage the school's brand
     and anything related to their eligibility."  Yet what may look to some
     like a business opportunity, and to universities and their athletic
     departments like due diligence, appears to others to be an invasion of
     privacy.  "I think it's violating the Constitution to have someone
     give up their password or user name," said Ronald N. Young, a Maryland
     state senator who has sponsored a bill aimed at stopping universities
     from monitoring athletes digitally. "It's like reading their mail or
     listening to their phone calls."