[ NNSquad ] In NYTimes op-ed, Richard Clarke calls for Customs Inspection of Internet Data!

In NYTimes op-ed, Richard Clarke calls for Customs Inspection of Internet Data!

http://j.mp/HP4Qso  (New York Times)

   "Under Customs authority, the Department of Homeland Security could
    inspect what enters and exits the United States in cyberspace. Customs
    already looks online for child pornography crossing our virtual
    borders. And under the Intelligence Act, the president could issue a
    finding that would authorize agencies to scan Internet traffic outside
    the United States and seize sensitive files stolen from within our
    borders.  And this does not have to endanger citizens' privacy rights.
    Indeed, Mr. Obama could build in protections like appointing an
    empowered privacy advocate who could stop abuses or any activity that
    went beyond halting the theft of important files."

 - - -

I had to verify that this wasn't an April Fools' Day op-ed.
Apparently it's legit.  With all due respect, and for more reasons
technical and otherwise than I can even start to address here, Clarke
is absolutely delusional with such recommendations.