[ NNSquad ] Re: Saving the Internet, Ourselves, and the Future

Lauren -

We are at a crossroads, I agree.  And you put your finger on the large majority of businesses who view it as their "right" to exploit it and trash it without giving back.

The list of those who have worked hard, fought, and argued, tried incredibly hard to constructively create the networking environment that opens interoperable, evolvable, innovative, and open-ended information sharing and information is long. Most have made little money for their efforts after changing the world in ways that enable the amazing opportunities that have arisen are probably proud of their accomplishments, correctly so.

So it's incredibly sad to watch this amazing thing (which has nothing to do with the fibers, the pipes, the copper, etc.) be converted into a tool of control, of power, of exclusion, and so forth by companies first, and now governments and international diplomats.

Once upon a time, Jon Postel, one of the many amazing people who catalyzed this thing, set a great example for speaking "truth to power" in his incredible contributions to Internet "governance".

I am very afraid that his era is finally over. Individuals can make a big difference, but they are being "picked off" one by one by a new generation that does not "get it".

I'm not giving up, but I wonder if we are reaching our last stand... I hope not.

David