[ NNSquad ] "Obama Naive about Cyberwarfare?" (+plus my comments)

"Obama Naive about Cyberwarfare?" (+plus my comments)

"How Obama Was Dangerously Naive About STUXNET and Cyberwarfare"

http://j.mp/LddPFE  (Technology Review)

   "If the New York Times' comprehensive account of the birth of the
    STUXNET worm that slowed Iran's efforts to enrich uranium tells us
    anything, it's that the Obama administration was remarkably naive
    about the potential for the proliferation of the cyberweapons it was
    developing."

 - - -

I'm not sure that naivete can really be asserted here, but there are a
couple of interesting points to consider.  First, it's definitely true
that this technology, at various levels of effectiveness, can be
deployed by anyone from a government to some lonely guy in a basement.
And I would also suggest that since these "tools" are largely
evolutionary from previous viruses and other cyber-pathogens, they
were likely to further develop (and be deployed) with or without the
participation of governments themselves, for a wide variety of
motives.

Additionally, it's noteworthy that while it's true that a single
breach can in theory contaminate entire networks, basic protection
includes the standard safe-computing protocols we've been pushing for
many years.  Systems that don't need to be connected to the Internet
shouldn't be connected to the Net.  You don't stick unknown USB sticks
into your computer.  Don't load unknown CDs or DVDs.  Keep Wi-Fi and
Bluetooth disabled when not needed, or permanently if never needed.

The point is that there is an argument to be made that cyberattacks of
critical facilities will become less effective over time, as more and
more systems are subjected to basic security screening that should
have been implemented on general grounds in the first place.