[ NNSquad ] The FCC Internet Measurement Controversy Heats Up

The FCC Internet Measurement Controversy Heats Up
http://j.mp/MREYKl  (This message on Google+)

 - - -

For the last few days, an interesting controversy has been erupting,
largely out of sight of the nontechnical community.

It is potentially quite important.  It relates to how the FCC measures
ISPs' performance, as part of an effort to help assure that consumers
actually obtain the speeds and bandwidth that they've been promised.

For some time now, the FCC has been distributing a small device ("the
Whitebox") to participants in an Internet measurement regime via a
number of associated servers.

The genesis of this project was Measurement Lab (M-Lab), and until now
public Measurement Lab servers have been the primary servers used for
these ongoing measurements.  (I helped organize the original meeting at
Google that led to M-Lab, and also attended that meeting, so I've been
following this effort closely all along.)

Very recently, concerns have been raised that the FCC might be
preparing to move away from their reliance on these public servers and
move toward a system primarily relying on ISP owned and operated
internal servers that in some cases would not be publicly accessible.

When Vint Cerf and others initially raised public concerns regarding
this possibility, some observers branded them as being both incorrect
and alarmist (in one case, via a public message that I would
characterize as quite impolite in tone).

The FCC's CTO also responded, and said:

   "The FCC has no plans to move away from the M-Lab platform and
    replace it with closed-infrastructure ISP-managed servers."

However, as you'll note from the messages included below, a document
exists which at least gives the appearance of contradicting the FCC
on this issue in some important respects.

The key line from the document ["ISP-provided measurement servers"], is:

   "The above approach will allow us to use 'on-net' results in the
    future as our primary data source for reports."

That is, the document suggests a move toward using servers provided by
individual ISPs to measure those same ISPs' own performance, so most
measurements for any given ISP would be made on servers controlled by
that ISP.  This is in contrast to the current approach where servers
*not* under control of the same ISP are more commonly employed for
any given measurements involving that ISP.

I prefer not to send out attachments in these mailings, so I have
made the entire document available via:

http://j.mp/MRAinJ  (Lauren's Blog)

At the very least, this appears to be a situation that is in need
of immediate clarification by the FCC.

--Lauren--

----- Forwarded message from Dave Farber <dave@farber.net> -----