[ NNSquad ] Massive data collected about consumers, but unavailable to them

Massive data collected about consumers, but unavailable to them

http://j.mp/SO7MIQ  (New York Times)

   It turns out that Acxiom, based in Little Rock, Ark., furnishes
   consumers only with data related to risk management, like their own
   prison records, tax liens, bankruptcy filings and residential
   histories. For a corporate client, the company is able to match
   customers by name with, say, the social networks or Internet providers
   they use, but it does not offer consumers the same information about
   themselves.  Jennifer Barrett Glasgow, Acxiom's chief privacy officer,
   said that the company kept consumer data in different databases and
   that its system was not designed to assemble all the information it
   had amassed on a single person.  "We do not have the capability to
   look up an individual's data in the system," Ms. Barrett Glasgow said.
   "We don't have a search-by-name capability."