[ NNSquad ] Dave Farber: [IP] A session with SKYPE. For all I know I was talking to a computer :-)

Dave Farber: [IP] A session with SKYPE. For all I know I was talking to a computer :-)

    [ A bit apropos: Many, many years ago, I had a friend who was the
      frequent target of harrassing phone calls.  One day someone called him
      from a local phone booth and left the phone off-hook.  This was in the
      days of step-by-step offices for that particular line, and since those
      circuits cleared forward (on a local call) he had no way to free up
      that line until the calling phone was hung up.  The only alternative
      was for someone at the central office to manually knock down the call,
      which was the designated procedure.  My friend knew all this.

      So he calls 611 (repair) and explains the situation.  The rep says:
      "What is the number of the phone that called you?"  My friend replies:
      "I don't know what that number is."  The rep: "We cannot clear your
      line unless you can tell me what number called you."  My friend:
      "Well, I can't do that because I don't know.  So I guess this line will
      never work again, and I'll need to call the business office and get
      a whole new line and a whole new number, right?"

      Long pause ... "let me connect you with my supervisor."

     "Good idea," said my friend.

      In Dave Farber's case below, it's time to escalate to corporate,
      one way or another.  Skype increasingly (to use a technical term)
      really sucks.

     --Lauren-- ]

----- Forwarded message from Dave Farber <dave@farber.net> -----