[ NNSquad ] Using the Google Nexus 7 Tablet as a Phone, For Free (+ a Privacy Hint)

   Using the Google Nexus 7 Tablet as a Phone, For Free (+ a Privacy Hint)

               http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000979.html

I don't usually do "how-to" postings, and I'll have much more
comprehensive discussions of Android "Jelly Bean" and the Google
Nexus 7 tablet later -- there are some really fascinating implications to
how that ecosystem is developing.

But since quite a few people have been asking me if it's possible to
use the Wi-Fi-based Nexus 7 as a phone, I thought I'd scribble out
this quickie guide.

In short, yes, even though the N7 doesn't obviously have phone-related
user interfaces, you can use the N7 as a phone for both outgoing and
incoming calls via VoIP, and this can be accomplished completely for
free via Google Voice accounts.

The fairly easy steps:

Obtain and install the "GrooVe IP Lite" (GIPL) app via Google Play
( http://j.mp/Skxpi4 ).  This version is free and has everything you
need for this situation.  You still might wish to purchase the full
version for $5 to support the fine work of the developer.

GIPL has settings for most situations, including some "under the hood"
tuning for echo cancellation and the like.  Usually you don't need to
alter most of these, except to determine if you want the app starting
up automatically at boot and a couple of other options.

GIPL will ask for your Google Voice (GV) login/password credentials.
This is the privacy-related aspect.  Personally, just on general
principles without casting any aspersions on GIPL, I would not use
GIPL with a GV account that is also used for other purposes such as
actual Gmail messages, Google+, etc.  A separate GV account for use
with GIPL is strongly recommend.

After you sign in to GV via GIPL, if the connection is successful a
green dot will appear in the status bar.  GIPL will provide a dialing
pad (even generating imitation DTMF tones if you wish), integrate in
your contacts, and offer other typical functions.

Dial an outgoing domestic U.S. call via the GIPL interface, and with
luck you should be in business.  Voice quality is fine with a good
Wi-Fi connection.

Now at this point, you may get a displayed or verbal error message
that your call was not completed.  This usually means either that you
forgot to include an area code, or the associated (and necessary)
Google Chat environment isn't yet initialized.

Make sure that GIPL is connected (green dot in status bar).  Go to
your Google Voice settings (the gear icon + Settings), and select the
Phones tab.  If you don't see an entry for Google Chat, that's likely
the problem.

Go to Gmail for this account, and click the phone handset icon on the
left.  A phone keyboard will appear.  Make a call via this
website-based mechanism -- call yourself on another phone, for
example.

Now return to the GV Phones tab and refresh.  You should now see a
Google Chat entry.  Configure its options as desired.

Your outgoing calls from the Nexus 7 via GIPL and GV should now
function.

Click the Google Chat check box if you also want incoming calls to
your Google Voice number to ring through to your Nexus 7 via GIPL
(when you have GIPL running, of course).

The earpiece jack on the Nexus 7 apparently does not accept
microphones (e.g., via TRRS plugs), but you can handle your calls via
regular earphones in conjunction with the mics built into the tablet
itself -- or with no earphones at all via the integral speakers.
Also, many Bluetooth headsets are reportedly compatible as well.

That should be about it.  Let me know if you discover any issues!

And please remember again that as a basic privacy consideration, using
your main Google Account with GIPL is not recommended -- use a
separate account if at all possible.

Additional comments and discussion regarding this configuration of the
Nexus 7 can be viewed after the main copy of this posting on Google+
( http://j.mp/SkxDpq ).

Happy calling!