[ NNSquad ] Re: Melb IT tells ICANN to clear up its clearinghouse act

The other side of this issue is that many in the ICANN community think that
even the concept of a trademark clearinghouse is a horrible idea, one that
even WIPO won't touch with a 10-foot pole. ICANN has no business inventing
global trademark regimes that don't exist otherwise. The gaggle of
intellectual property lawyers that follow ICANN around like groupies often
have a point in name protection, but are broadly known for over-reaching,
and never accepting pushback from other stakeholders. The Melbourne IT
effort attempts to resuscitate an effort that was already raised and killed
twice -- for good reason -- within the ICANN community.

- Evan

    [ Be that as it may, the current situation with its "protection
      racket" aspects designed primarily to make the "domainers" even
      richer at the expense of the Internet community at large, is
      however the sort of atrocity I'd expect to see in the GOP "gawd
      we love the rich!"  platform, not the "platform" of a supposedly
      public service oriented organization such as ICANN claims to be.
      But given ICANN's incredible ineptitude of late, both in terms
      of sudden 180 degree policy changes and technical instabilities,
      this isn't exactly headline news.

On 21 August 2012 11:38, Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com> wrote:

> Melb IT tells ICANN to clear up its clearinghouse act
>
> http://j.mp/PtZOoi  (Register)
>
>    "ICANN's trademark clearinghouse guidelines for the introduction of
>     gTLDs have been slammed by one of Australia's largest domain
>     registrars, Melbourne IT.  Melbourne IT has warned that high profile
>     trademark holders will be vulnerable to attack from cyber squatters
>     and counterfeiters unless policy is swiftly changed."
>
>  - - -
>
> --Lauren--
> Lauren Weinstein (lauren@vortex.com): http://www.vortex.com/lauren
> Co-Founder: People For Internet Responsibility:
> http://www.pfir.org/pfir-info
> Founder:
>  - Network Neutrality Squad: http://www.nnsquad.org
>  - PRIVACY Forum: http://www.vortex.com/privacy-info
>  - Data Wisdom Explorers League: http://www.dwel.org
>  - Global Coalition for Transparent Internet Performance:
> http://www.gctip.org
> Member: ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
> Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
> Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren / Twitter: http://vortex.com/t-lauren
> Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800 / Skype: vortex.com

Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada

Em: evan at telly dot org
Sk: evanleibovitch