[ NNSquad ] Stop Online *Privacy* [sic] Act

Stop Online *Privacy* [sic] Act

Just a quickie worth a chuckle perhaps.  Several persons mentioned that
the quoted text from "Wired" that I included for the new Internet
Freedoms group posting mentioned SOPA as the "Stop Online Privacy
[not Piracy] Act."

And in fact, that's the way the original text read, which I copied
and pasted intact (Wired has now fixed it).

I note this because I've looked into this specific error in the past,
with rather amusing results.  Almost all of us who have ever discussed
SOPA have probably ourselves made that error at some point, but the degree
to which it persists is really quite fascinating.

For example, if you conduct a "verbatim" (very handy feature!) Google
Search on the quoted string "Stop Online Privacy Act" -- (Google will
offer you the corrected version of course, but let's look at the wrong
version), you'll currently get something on the order of nearly half a
million hits, many at major news sites and other major sites.  The
correct version gets about 20 times more hits of course, but the wrong
version's presence is quite noticeable.

Perhaps there may be some deep, philosophical moral here about how we
subconsciously internalize the concepts of "piracy" and "privacy"
beyond the "sounds-similar" aspects ... but I'm definitely not going to
go digging for it today.