[ NNSquad ] Important Warning regarding Facebook / Datalogix opt-out

Important Warning regarding Facebook / Datalogix opt-out

http://j.mp/Q2RNUx  (This message on Google+)

Important Warning regarding Facebook / Datalogix opt-out. - In
http://j.mp/Q2S5Lh, I noted an article discussing how to opt-out of
Facebook's Datalogix data matching, which matches your off-net
purchases with online behavior.  Further investigation and reports
suggest that this opt-out mechanism is limited and possibly currently
flawed.

Reportedly the opt-out is cookie based -- if you lose that cookie for
any reason you're opted back in.  The Datalogix page that Facebook
links to is lengthy with the necessary links deep in text.  There are
reports of script failures, demands for additional identifying
information, and more.  Not all of these are confirmed, but what I can
see directly is of immediate relevance.  To add to the confusion, the
Datalogix page also links to a central page used by many firms for
behavioral advertising out-outs (in some cases as a supplement to
their own hosted pages for this purpose).

The bottom line is that this is a mess.  My specific concerns are not
with conventional online targeted marketing -- which I generally view
as being much less onerous and much more useful than some critics
assert, but rather with Datalogix's conflation of outside purchasing
behavior (e.g. brick and mortar stores) with Internet (e.g. Facebook)
activities, on behalf of Facebook This is a new frontier that is
significantly different and for which Facebook's current approach to
user controls appears to be wholly inadequate.