[ NNSquad ] [IP] John Pickens killed in East Bay bicycle crash - San Jose Mercury News

----- Forwarded message from Dave Farber <dave@farber.net> -----

Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 16:43:51 -0500
From: Dave Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] John Pickens killed in East Bay bicycle crash - San Jose
	Mercury News
To: ip <ip@listbox.com>

John did his thesis under me while he was at UC Santa Barbara and I was at
UC Irvine (got enough hours to qualify for my instrument rating). I kept in
touch with John during his career and will miss him greatly. djf

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_22157811/newark-man-killed-east-bay-bicycle-crash

"John Pickens moved to the Bay Area as a teen in about 1960 and then headed
south for college at UC Santa Barbara. He and Melinda married in 1970,
moved to Newark in 1976 and their family has since grown to include three
children and four grandchildren.

In his ongoing, roughly 45-year career in computer technology, which
included work on the internet precursor ARPANET, Pickens was most recently
a "distinguished engineer" for Cisco Systems, according to his LinkedIn
profile. A colleague at Cisco, David Yates, wrote on the profile: "He is
intelligent, precise, hardworking and a great to work on a team with."

Pickens' wife said her husband's organs and tissues have been donated to
help others. The family has not yet set the date for a memorial service."