[ NNSquad ] Ad Blocking vs. ISPs ("The French Connection")

Ad Blocking vs. ISPs ("The French Connection")

http://j.mp/Wm03Au  (New York Times)

   "Mr. Niel's telecommunications company, Free, which has an estimated
    5.2 million Internet-access users in France, began last week to enable
    its customers to block Web advertising. The company is updating users'
    software with an ad-blocking feature as the default setting."

 - - -

Let me be very clear about this.  I have written in the past of the
problematic nature of individuals employing ad blocking (originally in
"Blocking Web Ads -- And Paying the Piper" ( http://bit.ly/8QLzYc
[Lauren's Blog] ), but for an ISP to become involved in ad blocking --
particularly by default -- is as abusive of their role as an Internet
access provider as would be their blocking particular sites or pages
with which they had a political disagreement.  It is a direct affront
to the most basic tenets of net neutrality, and should be vigorously
opposed.