[ NNSquad ] Eric Schmidt's daughter Sophie's report on their North Korea trip -- fascinating!

Eric Schmidt's daughter Sophie's report on their North Korea trip -- fascinating!

http://j.mp/WsA3FC  (Google Sites / Sophie in North Korea)

   "Ordinary North Koreans live in a near-total information bubble,
    without any true frame of reference.  I can't think of any reaction to
    that except absolute sympathy.  My understanding is that North Koreans
    are taught to believe they are lucky to be in North Korea, so why
    would they ever want to leave?  They're hostages in their own country,
    without any real consciousness of it.  And the opacity of the
    country's inner workings--down to the basics of its economy--further
    serves to reinforce the state's control.  The best description we
    could come up with: it's like The Truman Show, at country scale."