[ NNSquad ] European Commission's Joint Research Centre - No evidence music piracy displaces digital music sales

European Commission's Joint Research Centre - No evidence music piracy
displaces digital music sales

http://j.mp/ZoNEAy  (ftp.jrc.es [PDF])

    "Perhaps surprisingly, our results present no evidence of digital
     music sales displacement. While we find important cross country
     differences in the effects of downloading on music purchases, our
     findings suggest a rather small complementarity between these two
     music consumption channels.  It seems that the majority of the
     music that is consumed illegally by the individuals in our sample
     would not have been purchased if illegal downloading websites
     were not available to them.  The complementarity effect of online
     streaming is found to be somewhat larger, suggesting a
     stimulating effect of this activity on the sales of digital
     music."

 - - -

As I've been saying for ages -- it's insane to assume that every
pirated copy of music (or video) represents a lost sale.  The vast
majority are opportunistic copies that would never have been purchased
even if it weren't possible to obtain illicit copies.