[ NNSquad ] ICANN launches a trademark "protection" service

ICANN launches a trademark "protection" service

"ICANN's trademark clearinghouse to launch Tuesday"

http://j.mp/15QcsT4  (ITWorld)

    Trademark holders should participate if they want their "brands to be
    protected," Kupferschmid said. The SIIA has published an alert for its
    members on the new clearinghouse.  The clearinghouse "doesn't
    necessarily prevent trademark infringement or cybersquatting, but it
    does help trademark owners and brand owners somewhat in mitigating the
    damage that might occur," he added. "We've been telling brand owners
    it's not that expensive to protect themselves and they ought to do
    it."

 - - -

Right.  Pay an annual fee to "protect" each trademark from domain
infringement from new gTLDs for which there was no public need or
demand except to enrich the domain-industrial complex and to confuse
consumers, with the extra bonus that these fees don't even promise any
actual protection.  If you need any more proof that this has all
become a giant protection racket, I don't know what to say.