[ NNSquad ] Facebook Releases Data, Including All National Security Requests

Facebook Releases Data, Including All National Security Requests

http://j.mp/17a9jDS  (Facebook)

  "Since this story was first reported, we've been in discussions with
   U.S. national security authorities urging them to allow more
   transparency and flexibility around national security-related orders
   we are required to comply with. We're pleased that as a result of our
   discussions, we can now include in a transparency report all U.S.
   national security-related requests (including FISA as well as National
   Security Letters) - which until now no company has been permitted to
   do. As of today, the government will only authorize us to communicate
   about these numbers in aggregate, and as a range. This is progress,
   but we're continuing to push for even more transparency, so that our
   users around the world can understand how infrequently we are asked to
   provide user data on national security grounds.  For the six months
   ending December 31, 2012, the total number of user-data requests
   Facebook received from any and all government entities in the U.S.
   (including local, state, and federal, and including criminal and
   national security-related requests) - was between 9,000 and 10,000.
   These requests run the gamut - from things like a local sheriff trying
   to find a missing child, to a federal marshal tracking a fugitive, to
   a police department investigating an assault, to a national security
   official investigating a terrorist threat. The total number of
   Facebook user accounts for which data was requested pursuant to the
   entirety of those 9-10 thousand requests was between 18,000 and 19,000
   accounts."