[ NNSquad ] EU, et al. trying to use NSA stories as excuse to kill the open Internet, as they've wanted to do all along?

EU, et al. trying to use NSA stories as excuse to kill the open
Internet, as they've wanted to do all along?

http://j.mp/182muVe  (Tech Freedom)

   "It would be a sad outcome of the surveillance disclosures if they led
    to an approach to Internet policy making and governance in which
    countries became a series of walled gardens with governments holding
    the keys to locked gates. But that is where we will end up if all data
    has to stay on servers located in the nation in which a citizen lives
    or where a device is located. The digital world does not need another
    Great Firewall - in Europe or anywhere else."

 - - -

And given that EU and most other countries are engaging in similar
surveillance activities themselves to the extent of their technical
abilities, what we really have here is dissembling as the enemies of
the open Internet use this situation as an excuse to accomplish what
they've been hoping for all along.

Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein