[ NNSquad ] IBM: Analyzing fake content on Twitter during real world events: Boston Marathon bombing

IBM: Analyzing fake content on Twitter during real world events:
Boston Marathon bombing

http://j.mp/HaNOah  (precog.iiitd.edu.in)

   "Online social media has emerged as one of the prominent channels for
    dissemination of information during real world events. Malicious
    content is posted online during events, which can result in damage,
    chaos and monetary losses in the real world. We analyzed one such
    media i.e. Twitter, for content generated during the event of Boston
    Marathon Blasts, that occurred on April, 15th, 2013. A lot of fake
    content and malicious proles originated on Twitter network during this
    event. The aim of this work is to perform in-depth characterization of
    what factors inuenced in malicious content and proles becoming viral.
    Our results showed that 29% of the most viral content on Twitter,
    during the Boston crisis were rumors and fake content; while 51% was
    generic opinions and comments; and rest was true information"

Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein