[ NNSquad ] Dot-word warehouse Donuts to launch new top-level domains this week

Dot-word warehouse Donuts to launch new top-level domains this week

http://j.mp/1evT16b  (Register)

    Upstart domain registry Donuts has announced that its first seven new
    global top-level domains (gTLDs) will be made available to the public
    on Wednesday, with more to come throughout the year.  "This is a
    unique opportunity for businesses, brands, organizations, and
    individuals to find an online identity that speaks precisely to their
    products, services and interests," Donuts co-founder and CEO Paul
    Stahura said in a canned statement.  The domains to go on sale this
    week - including .BIKE, .CLOTHING, .GURU, .HOLDINGS, .PLUMBING,
    .SINGLES, and .VENTURES - are just the first of more than a hundred
    that Donuts plans to launch this year to compete with the likes of
    .COM, .NET, and .ORG.  The company's second batch of domains is
    scheduled to launch next week and will include .CAMERA, .EQUIPMENT,
    .ESTATE, .GALLERY, .GRAPHICS, .LIGHTING and .PHOTOGRAPHY.  The new
    domains will be managed by Donuts but will be offered to the public by
    various accredited registrars worldwide - including 1&1, GoDaddy,
    Register.com, Secura, and Tucows, among others.  A well-heeled startup
    backed by venture capitalists, equity funds, banks, and other
    investors, Bellevue, Washington-based Donuts has emerged virtually out
    of nowhere to become the largest registry to capitalize on internet
    overseer ICANN's new gTLD expansion scheme.

 - - -

As soon as I see the first piece of spam or a phishing message that
originates in any of these TLDs, I plan to immediately block them --
the entire TLD -- from sending inbound mail into my networks. You want
to reach me from those domains? Tough luck. The most likely result
from all these new TLDs -- other than lots of suckers getting
fleeced -- is that .COM domains will become more valuable than ever as
they cut through the clutter of crud.

Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein