[ NNSquad ] Reed Hastings: How to Save the Net: Don't Give In to Big ISPs

Reed Hastings: How to Save the Net: Don't Give In to Big ISPs

(Wired): http://www.wired.com/2014/08/save-the-net-reed-hastings/

    "It's worth noting that Netflix connects directly with hundreds of ISPs
     globally, and 99 percent of those agreements don't involve access
     fees. It is only a handful of the largest U.S. ISPs, which control the
     majority of consumer connections, demanding this toll. Why would more
     profitable, larger companies charge for connections and capacity that
     smaller companies provide for free? Because they can.  This is the
     reason we have opposed Comcast's proposed acquisition of Time Warner
     Cable. Comcast has already shown the ability to use its market
     position to require access fees, as evidenced by the Netflix
     congestion that cleared up as soon as we reached an agreement with
     them. A combined company that controls over half of US residential
     Internet connections would have even greater incentive to wield this
     power."

I am a consultant to Google -- I speak only for myself, not for them.
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein