[ NNSquad ] AT&T: Cities should never offer Internet service where ISPs already do or might later

AT&T: Cities should never offer Internet service where ISPs already do
or might later

(Ars): http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/09/att-cities-shouldnt-offer-broadband-where-private-isps-already-do-or-might-later/

    AT&T isn't opposed to government handouts, though, as long as they are
    flowing to the private sector. Community broadband networks "should
    not receive any preferential tax treatment," AT&T argued. Only private
    companies should be given special treatment, the company said.
    "Indeed, any tax incentives or exemptions should be provided, if at
    all, to private sector firms to induce them to expand broadband
    deployment to unserved areas," AT&T wrote.

 - - -

After all their broken deployment promises to communities and the rest
of their lies over the decades, we have come to expect utterly shameless
statements like this from AT&T.

I am a consultant to Google -- I speak only for myself, not for them.
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein