[ NNSquad ] Off-topic video: A 19th century mechanical computer that performs Fourier analysis

Off-topic video: A 19th century mechanical computer that performs Fourier analysis

On this Veteran's Day I'm exercising my benign dictatorial control of
these lists to offer a fascinating off-topic video just posted by the
Univ. of Illinois about a veteran computer. It was originally created
in the late 19th century -- Albert Michelson's Harmonic Analyzer (yes,
that's "speed of light" Michelson). When he tired of doing Fourier
transforms by hand, he built this machine that was later
commercialized. It's nothing short of incredible. The video is the
first of four newly available that discuss and demonstrate various
aspects of this device. I love stuff like this. Enjoy:

(YouTube) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAsM30MAHLg

I am a consultant to Google -- I speak only for myself, not for them.
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein