[ NNSquad ] Verizon CTO: Net Neutrality proponents suffer from "paranoia"

------- Forwarded Message

From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
To: "ip" <ip@v2.listbox.com>
Subject: [IP] Verizon: Network Neutrality fans suffer from 'paranoia'
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:10:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne@warpspeed.com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: August 20, 2008 6:27:39 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy@warpspeed.com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Verizon: Network Neutrality fans suffer from
'paranoia'

VERIZON: NETWORK NEUTRALITY FANS SUFFER FROM 'PARANOIA'

Verizon Chief Technology Officer Dick Lynch spoke at the Progress and
Freedom Foundation's annual summit in Aspen (CO) Tuesday. He urged a
"change in mindset on the part of policymakers to acknowledge the
realities of the 100-megabit world" and suggested that other industry
participants be pragmatic as well. "The public interest can best be
served by getting as much broadband in front of as many people as
possible, as quickly as possible, and ensuring that investment keeps
up with demand," Lynch said. "To a large extent, this is a matter of
taking down the barriers to investment and refraining from erecting
new ones." He said, "We need to guard against turning technical and
business decisions into political decisions." He said that for
economic reasons, Verizon may need to slow down some Internet traffic
that is not time-sensitive -- like file-sharing or e-mail. Some people
hearing this "get all incensed and they accuse me of violating things
I didn't even know that I could violate," he said. Customers who are
"doing a P2P download or e-mail, they aren't going to see that 22-
millisecond delay. And yet that's the kind of thing that seems to
(cause) paranoia."

<http://techdailydose.nationaljournal.com/2008/08/dispatch_from_aspen_verizon_te.php

Courtesy of the Benton Foundation <http://www.benton.org>
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>