Subject: FCC Order on Comcast - a good job (FCC decision link
corrected)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:23:13 -0400
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed@reed.com>
To: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson@RealMeasures.dyndns.org>

Friends - I just posted this on my blog, regarding the FCC opinion and
order about Comcast RST injection. Feel free to send a pointer to it
anyone interested  The comment I sent to the Commissioners is also
linked there.

-David P. Reed
----------------------------------

FCC Order on Comcast - a good job <http://www.reed.com/blog-dpr/?p=12>

The FCC today issued its formal opinion and order in regard to
Comcast?s degrading of P2P and other traffic using DPI and RST
injection
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-08-183A1.doc>.
Of course, I?ve been very interested in this, especially since I was
asked by the Commission to testify as a witness at the en banc hearing
at Harvard Law School in February.

After reading the order this morning, I felt like commending the FCC -
so I filed a formal comment with the FCC, and I posted it on my site
<http://www.reed.com/blog-dpr/?page_id=10> as well. The decision is a
good decision for the Internet. In short here?s why:

The decision shows that the agency understands the importance of the
technological principles of the Internet?s design.

The Internet is a /world-wide system that does not belong to any one
operator/, whether providing access lines or backbone transport.

The design of the Internet Protocols specifies clear limits on what
operators can and cannot do to Internet Protocol datagrams when those
operators are acting as part of the Internet.

Not obeying those limits poses a serious risk to the continued success
of the world-wide Internet. Happily, the FCC recognized and exposed
Comcast?s transgressions of those limits.

Though Internet design is not a law, the Commission?s order respects
the importance of that design, and rejects Comcast?s misbehavior and
deception in applying technologies that go against the principles of
that design.