[ NNSquad ] "We need to talk about the right to be forgotten"

"We need to talk about the right to be forgotten"

(Guardian): http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/10/right-to-be-forgotten-european-ruling-google-debate

    "The court also decided that search engines don't qualify for a
     "journalistic exception". This means that the Guardian could have
     an article on its website about an individual that's perfectly
     legal, but we might not legally be able to show links to it in
     our results when you search for that person's name. It's a bit
     like saying the book can stay in the library but cannot be
     included in the library's card catalogue.  It's for these reasons
     that we disagree with the ruling.  That said, we obviously
     respect the court's authority and are doing our very best to
     comply quickly and responsibly. It's a huge task, as we've had
     over 70,000 take-down requests covering 250,000 web pages since
     May. So we now have a team of people reviewing each application
     individually, in most cases with limited information and almost
     no context." - David Drummond, Google

I am a consultant to Google -- I speak only for myself, not for them.
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein