[ NNSquad ] Wired: US Spy Programs May Break the Internet if Not Reformed, Google Leader Says

Wired: US Spy Programs May Break the Internet if Not Reformed, Google Leader Says

(Wired): http://www.wired.com/2014/10/us-spy-programs-may-break-internet-reformed-google-leader-says/

     In a year of profoundly disturbing disclosures, Schmidt said the
     one that struck companies the hardest were reports about the
     tapping of undersea cables used to transmit data between the
     overseas data centers of U.S. companies. To put it in simple
     terms, Schmidt said, this was essentially hacking--the same kind
     of state-sponsored hacking the US has condemned in other
     countries, and it rallied companies to take action. "I think that
     put the relationship between the industry and the government on
     profoundly different footing," he said. "The disclosure brought
     to light that there was this effort outside of what we all
     thought of as the appropriate legal process to obtain user data."
     The effect has led companies to play essentially a game of
     whack-a-mole with the government, working to find technological
     solutions that "force the government to come to us through the
     legal means [that are] the product of a democratic process," he
     said. By "investing as heavily as we are through security, we're
     forcing that access through those laws to be the only way in."

I am a consultant to Google -- I speak only for myself, not for them.
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Twitter: http://twitter.com/laurenweinstein