From: nnsquad-bounces+robert.holtz=edwardjones.com@nnsquad.org
[mailto:nnsquad-bounces+robert.holtz=edwardjones.com@nnsquad.org] On
Behalf Of Fred Reimer
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 2:38 PM
To: B.J. Herbison (Mailing lists); nnsquad@nnsquad.org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: How do I detect connection disruption by my
IAP?

You can download WireShark at www.wireshare.org for a packet capture and
analysis program.  You'd need to know a bit about TCP/IP in order to
make good use of it, but you can search for TCP packets with the RST bit
set.  That would be a "forced"
close.  You CAN get them from some valid destinations, but they should
be rare, and should only happen at the end of a connection anyway.  A
normal closure would be the use of the FIN flags.

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697