[ NNSquad ] Re: Comments on NNSquad Purpose

> Behalf Of Brett Glass
>
> Use of applications which attempt to take over the network is
> abusive. BitTorrent, Limewire, etc. are good examples.
> BitTorrent and Limewire in particular "invite" the entire
> world to bombard your network with requests for files, in
> such a way that even if the ISP attempts to throttle the
> onslaught its upstream bandwidth is still consumed by the
> unending flood of requests.

Excuse me, Brett, but I'm very familiar with both protocols that you have
mentioned here.  Not one statement that you have made about BitTorrent or
Gnutella (the protocol used by Limewire) is true.

> And to set up a server on a residential connection where
> servers are prohibited is a breach of contract. Those terms
> are clearly spelled out in our contract and general terms of
> service, and also in those of Verizon and Comcast.

Please review the FCC's 2005 Policy Statement on Net Neutrality.  If you
find those simple precepts objectionable, you shouldn't be offering
"Internet Service."  What do you think "internet" means?

And with respect to Comcast, I disagree with your implicit charactarization
that P2P clients are servers and that Comcast's terms "clearly" prohibit
them -- but both are a matter of opinion and semantics.

 -- Robb Topolski