[ NNSquad ] Re: Definitions: "Network Neutrality" (and "National Security")

On Nov 11, 2007, at 12:09 PM, Lauren Weinstein wrote:
I believe that it would be worthwhile for consumers to have tools
that could be used to help figure out what sort of Internet they're
really getting for their money, in terms of performance, actual
capabilities, restrictions, and the like.

Those concerned with defining (or not defining) network neutrality might want to consider first concentrating on the above. It's clear from discussion here and in related venues that even well-informed and technophilic 'net denizens may lack an accurate picture of the Internet service they're receiving, and it's hard to effectively define the problems or seek solutions without clear and reliable context.

   (Comcast may be the most egregious offender, but
   they're not the only ones.  Are you *sure* you're
   getting a 100% unimpeded pipe?  I'm not.)

   Ed