[ NNSquad ] Re: Definitions: "Network Neutrality" (and "National Security")

On 11/11/07, Richard Bennett <richard@bennett.com> wrote:
> Robb Topolski, for example, is a victim. He's been prevented from doing
> what he wants to do by ISP Terms of Service that were probably put in
> place out of a desire to make network usage conform to a deployment
> model.
>
> Is the asymmetrical deployment model inherently abusive? If that's the
> case, we have to shut them all down. Does each ISP have an obligation to
> deploy symmetrical bandwidth because that's what a few users want?

I'm perfectly fine with the asymmetrical nature of my Internet
connection.  I'm not fine with the interference to my Internet access.

I'm not doing anything new, here.  I'm using the Internet mostly as I
have for years across several ISPs.  None of my ISPs has ever asked me
to change my behavior.  I have tuned my P2P software to stay within my
guess of Comcast's invisible cap, and I drop it further during prime
time to be friendly to the neighborhood.  As an amateur radio
operator, I try to follow the same behaviors on the net -- don't use
more power than you need, be courteous, don't interfere, and identify
yourself (give your callsign).

(BTW, I really enjoy the fact that most people on this list are
actually using some facsimile of their real names.  This reminds me of
how the net was 15 years ago!)

Thanks for the mention, Richard, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

With warm regards,

--Robb Topolski