[ NNSquad ] Re: Definitions: "Network Neutrality" (and "National Security")

On Nov 11, 2007 9:19 PM, Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com> wrote:
With solid data and metrics, perhaps we can help the good ISPs shine
with the public, while taking any "less than stellar" ISPs to task as
appropriate.  That's a major part of what this project is all about.

Perhaps this is oversimplifying it, but I suggest that we take these metrics and reduce them to a simple score -- similar to the way hotels are described as 5 star, 3 star, etc.  I couldn't tell you exactly what makes the difference between 2 star and 5 star hotels, but I would expect the differences in measurable quality to explain the differences in price.  The important question in my mind is whether we could come up with generally agreeable and fair standards for the scoring process.  We need to be able to distill a multitude of factors into a description that is accessible to the least informed consumer.

More importantly, maybe the people who provide less desirable service would make an effort to avoid being listed as 1 or 2 star providers?  Even in an area with no real competition, would they want to market a product that has been pegged as sub-standard?

Andy