[ NNSquad ] Re: Catalog of Measurement Tools

A few tools on the top of my head:

 * netcat[1], to quickly test tcp connections, combined with pv [2] to
   test the throughput. this is useful to test throughput on different
   ports, but requires netcat (or at least a TCP socket that accepts
   what you throw at it) on the other end
 * netrw[3] will do the same, but all in one tool
 * bing[4] can test bandwidth using only ICMP (ping) requests

Of course, I guess I should mention those de-facto standard utilities:

 * traceroute (AKA tracert under windows), the NANOG version also has
   extra interesting features
 * ping
 * nmap
 * mtr (traceroute merged with ping, on steroids)
 * wireshark (ex-ethereal) and tcpdump, to inspect traffic

I'm not providing URLs for those because they're fairly common.

I'm probably missing a few, especially for injecting arbitrary packets,
for example.

A.

[1] http://netcat.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.ivarch.com/programs/pv.shtml
[3] http://sitola.fi.muni.cz/~xdenemar/netrw/index.en.html
[4] http://fgouget.free.fr/bing/bing_src-readme.shtml

--
Un Ãducateur dans l'Ãme ne prend rien au sÃrieux que par rapport
à ses disciples -- soi-mÃme non exceptÃ.