[ NNSquad ] Re: Catalog of Measurement Tools/Scorecard

I'd like to suggest that this project also think about eventually
generating a scorecard (gotta use consultant speak somewhere in here :-)
for each provider.

Robb mentioned earlier that DSL Reports contains a lot of useful data
regarding blocking of certain ports, this would be very much in line
with what I am thinking about.

Once a consensus is gathered about how to measure neutrality (that could
be a somewhat long process), it should be a simple matter to generate
metrics based on reporting/known limitations for each ISP and then
present users with a quick visual guide to the "neutralness" of a
particular vendor, with the ability to drill down into a more in-depth
look at why they got the particular score they did.

Off the top of my head I could think of a number of particular metrics:

1) Port freedom: "are ports that a user would want to use open?")
2) Traffic freedom: "is traffic unmolested while it transits the network
leg of this provider?"
3) Caps: "what 'bandwidth' do I get with my purchase, and what is my
limit, and how clearly is that explained?")
4) Civil freedom: "Does my provider allow anyone other than the
destination address/route to see my traffic in the absence of a valid
civil order compelling disclosure?"

While this involves an immense amount of data mining/reporting, I think
such an exercise would be useful for both persons wanting to find as
neutral of a network as possible, or as a tool to explain to the world
at large what restrictions are present on their network of choice.

--matthew